Coveted Brazilian winger Malcom insists he will not be leaving Girondins de Bordeaux in this transfer window.
The 20-year-old former Corinthians player was outstanding for Jocelyn Gourvennec’s side last season and has already had a big impact in the opening weeks of this Ligue 1 Conforama campaign, setting up Alexandre Mendy to score in last weekend’s 2-2 draw at Angers SCO and then providing an assist for Younousse Sankharé in Saturday’s 2-0 win over FC Metz at the Matmut Atlantique.
He has been linked with a €15 million switch to German Bundesliga side VfL Wolfsburg, but the player himself says he is happy to stay put in Bordeaux, where he arrived in January last year.
“I have a contract in Bordeaux until 2020. There have been requests but I let my agent handle them. I am going to stay at Bordeaux,” said Malcom after Saturday’s game, which came as a big boost to Les Girondins, still on the rebound after their UEFA Europa League third qualifying round exit to Videoton of Hungary.
Coach Gourvennec added that Malcom has played a major role in helping the club’s two latest Brazilian recruits, Jonathan Cafu and Otávio, settle in the south-west of France.
“You just need to see him every day. He is still just as joyous and galvanising for the squad as ever. He has even been acting as a translator for his new Brazilian team-mates. He is not at all affected by everything that is being said. Even if he is still young, he is also very mature,” Gourvennec said.
“It would be premature for him to leave now. The best thing would be to do one more season here, in a team where he has an important role.”